Saturday, September 1, 2007

Troublesome sadhus still not giving up!

Krackiswami (Krax) was noticing a big change in Jagaswami after Jagaswami (Jags) had worn Arunacub's magic turban. He wasn't sure what to make of it, but he felt he could use it to his own advantage.

There were moments when Jags behaved kindly and considerately. And then moments when he was back to his old, megalomaniac self. Was he faking the kind behavior ? If this kind behavior continued, worse still increased, Jags could become popular around the hill, and then it would be hard to turn the tables on Jags.

Jagaswami in his nicer moments

But another thought came to him that Jags was battling some internal demons. He was confused and struggling. He was fighting the kind behavior or mood, and unable to get the better of it at times.

This could be the right time to do something. I must strike while the iron is hot! Jags is losing it. I am very clear, Krax thought. I want nothing to do with kindness or compassion. I want to establish myself as God, and amass wealth and power. I must denounce Jags as a fake. I must denounce all others as not being realized. I must declare myself as the true saviour.

Krax imagines himself with many followers

But first I need some miracles. That's the only way these silly humans will be convinced. They have always pressured saints and sages to show miracles in order to prove their statement that God exists, or that they have found Him. I must be able to show some miracles, even if they be some cheap tricks. Or at least spread rumors of miracles.

Also to protect myself I must be inaccessible. Or accessible only through some very close disciples. So i need some gullible disciples. And that, he decided, was easy as pie.

But in all this, there was one problem. One really big problem. And that was the swami on the hill. He knew that the swami was genuinely a realized sage. I cannot, of course, admit that to others. I must denounce him, with all the others sages.

MEANWHILE Jagaswami (Jags) was walking around the hill drumming up followers.
"Listen up, all of you! There has been a drought this year, and the last, and the year before that."
People began to gather, They could not recognize him due to the changed form.
"Do you want good rains?" he asked them.
They all nodded.
I can give you good rains
Jagaswami had smeared vibhuti on his forehead, worn rudrakshas (beads) around his neck, a trishul (trident) in one hand, and was posing as a sadhu. And looked very convincing.

Jags looks like an authentic spiritual leader

"God has sent me to help you", he said very solemnly, as though he had more important things to do in some other world, but was doing God a great favour by coming here.

Jags sees himself as the greatest guru of all time

They all prostrated in front of him. Some offered bananas at this feet which he shovelled into his mouth as fast as they came.

He deftly picked a gold necklace off one lady's neck as she prostrated. "Thank you! Grace to you! ", he quickly said, giving the impression to all that she had offered it.
Others, not to be outdone, quickly took off bangles and earrings and offered them.


He cleared his throat loudly and continued, "This drought is caused by the coming of the young swami on the hill. He may look kind to you, and treat you well but that is all a front. I am the real saviour."

Some of the gathering got up. Of them some left quietly and the rest came in front and fell at his feet. They told him of all their sufferings and pleaded for help.

"Ok," he said, after enjoying the adulation. "Come for darshans to my mansion on the other side of the hill. You will get grace according to how much dakshina you bring."
Some nodded in fear.

Worship me and you will get grace
"Do bring some grass for my attendant also", he said.
"And oh yes, I need one of you to come regularly and clean my mansion. Immense grace will accrue to that chosen one. The one who comes with the finest gifts and most offerings will get that privilege."
So saying he got up and marched off.

No comments: