Friday, November 16, 2007

Uncle Annamalai narrates the story

The cubs were quite insistent with Uncle Annamalai Swamy. They wanted to hear about the time when Uncle Stripes fell at Uncle Annalamai's feet.

Uncle Annamalai tried hard to convince the cubs to ask Mum Lioness or Unca Stripes himself but the cubs were adamant. They had taken up their positions on his lap and were looking up at him expectantly.


And so he tried remembering the details, laughing as they came back to him. He said:

"I had seen this devotee a few times. Sitting quietly here and there, very shy, not speaking to anyone. One day as I was standing outside he came up. His eyes were focussed on me. I felt a slight fear, after all, this devotee was a seven foot long tiger, not counting the tail.

(He tickled a cub ear or two as he spoke)

But he was clearly making his way for me. I then thought, why be afraid, I have surrendered my life to Bhagavan, let Him handle it as He wishes. The tiger came closer and closer and then he lunged for my feet. Truth to tell, my heart stopped beating for a moment.


The tiger refused to move. I carefully put my hands down and lifted his face a bit. He looked into my eyes and I could see devotion in them, devotion for Arunachala. There was complete harmlessness in those eyes. I tried to lift him but it was quite clear that he had no intention of getting up!

I told him Bhagavan is in the hall, I pointed to the hall, but he just looked up at me as though he wished to stay planted at my feet forever. He even kissed my feet a bit.

He tried to communicate with me but I could not understand. Finally he did get up, very reluctantly and walked to the hall.

Later after lunch when I lay at Bhagavan's Feet not wanting to get up, I remembered the devotee and for a moment thought that that is how he lay at my feet. Bhagavan told me about Uncle Stripes then."

The cubs insisted that Uncle Annamalai tell them what Bhagavan said about Uncle Stripes. Swamy then told them that Bhagavan said that Stripes was a devotee from far away, but he had been with Bhagavan earlier, and had now returned. He loved Bhagavan's devotees and would touch their feet as though they were Bhagavan's own feet. He would serve devotees as though he was serving Bhagavan.

Over the years, Annamalai Swamy told them, he saw that Uncle Stripes has great love for him, and Andavane and all the other devotees.

No comments: